Image 2
Image 3
Image 4
Image 5
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 8 Month Old Puppy Major Separation Anxiety

8 Month Old Puppy Major Separation Anxiety 05 Nov 2012 07:45 #287479

Our weimaraner is just shy of 9 months old. Recently, she has changed her behaviour & is no longer sleeping through the night. She gets up & whimpers/whines etc. She has not had anything to eat since approximately 9:00pm & has been taken out before bed at 11:00pm to do her business.

I have heard that some puppies regress in their behaviours. Is this the case? When this does occur should we just full out ignore her whimpering etc by not taking her out? My partner gets so irritated in the middle of the night that he will scold her. I believe this probably encourages her behaviour because even though it is negative attention it is still attention.

Also, does anyone have a weimaraner at home, who is the only dog & the family works that does not have separation anxiety? If so, how did you beat it? It is really taking a toll on us & the puppy.

Thanks!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: 8 Month Old Puppy Major Separation Anxiety 05 Nov 2012 08:36 #287485

• Sgrecco
  • Wise Old Weim
  • Thank you received: 365
Couple of questions. Is she crated at night and just wimpers to be let out or is she in bed with you? Have you taken her out to see if she indeed needs to go out? If she is urinating more frequently at night and in small amounts, she may have a UTI or something of that nature so I would get it checked out to rule that out first, just in case.
-Steph & Jaeger-

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself." ~Josh Billings

Re: 8 Month Old Puppy Major Separation Anxiety 05 Nov 2012 09:00 #287486

Hi,

She is crated at night & whimpers to get out. She will pee a little bit when we take her outside, however once we open the crate door (when she quiets for a bit) the first thing she does is try to get in the bed under the covers. My partner started this with her in the mornings after I left for work(which I tried numerous times to discourage) so now I think she just wants to be in our bed. She gets spayed on Friday, so I will ask them to look at the possibility of a UTI.

Re: 8 Month Old Puppy Major Separation Anxiety 05 Nov 2012 11:46 #287489

• Sgrecco
  • Wise Old Weim
  • Thank you received: 365
Ahhh...it only takes one time in the bed or special place the they are always going to want it. Sounds like she just wants to sleep with you. If the crate is in the room with you, maybe move it to a different room for bedtime and see if this helps.

I never crated Jaeger (7months) at night, I only crate when Im gone at work. For the first couple of months I had him he just slept on the floor next to my bed on a folded up comforter. But once he was old enough to jump up, he claimed his spot in the bed with me. Its a personal preference, but I dont mind him snuggling up next to me. I suppose, I dont have to worry about another human in my bed at the moment :dry:

Hopefully some other weimy lovers can chime in with some advice as well.
-Steph & Jaeger-

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself." ~Josh Billings

Re: 8 Month Old Puppy Major Separation Anxiety 05 Nov 2012 12:38 #287496

• deba
  • Wise Old Weim
  • Thank you received: 210
Yes, it sounds like she is trying to get you to let her sleep in bed. This is what I would do - keep her crate in your room right next to your bed, if possible, and get a squirt bottle filled with water. Squirt her when she starts whimpering. You should have a quiet dog in no time :) They hate to be squirted. Your partner can continue to let her in bed after you leave. It doesn't have to be all or nothing. She will learn the difference, as mine have. 2 of mine are crated all night in our bedroom but when the alarm goes off, they know they get to come out of their crates and get in bed with me while my husband is getting ready for work. The 3rd weim, Keiko, gets to sleep in be with us all night. :P
Time to create page: 0.146 seconds