Image 1
Image 2
Image 3
Image 4
Image 5
HomeForumHealth and NutritionNutritionCloud star biscuit clearance!
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Potty training Weimaraner Pup. HELP!!!!!

Potty training Weimaraner Pup. HELP!!!!! 09 May 2011 21:42 #254588

Ok so Goose, my first weimaraner, is about 3 months old, and he still isnt fully potty trained. He will go just fine when taken out, but he wont give me any sort of clue that he has to go, and he will just go wherever in the house whenever he feels the desire.

Any ideas of what i can do to help this?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Potty training Weimaraner Pup. HELP!!!!! 10 May 2011 02:54 #254605

• woodylane
  • Wise Old Weim
  • Thank you received: 140
He doesn't always know he has to go either.

He needs to be taken out...
1- the very second he wakes up, deep sleep or nap.
2-after eating
3-after playing for a short while

That should work out to about every 1.5 to 2 hours.

http://www.dailypuppy.com/forum/viewtop ... f=6&t=6565
http://www.dogstardaily.com/training/er ... setraining

Potty training Weimaraner Pup. HELP!!!!! 10 May 2011 06:04 #254606

• ziggie
  • Wise Old Weim
  • Thank you received: 222
To add to woodylane's advice: Take him out on a leash, give the command "go potty" (that's what we used anyway), and then once he's gone potty release him from the leash to play for a few minutes (this reinforces that it's potty first and play second). Also give Goose a lot of praise when he goes outside. Try not to expect too much too soon. Three months seems a bit young to be fully potty trained.

Kinsey and Ziggie

Potty training Weimaraner Pup. HELP!!!!! 10 May 2011 07:29 #254612

• whatagoon
  • Wise Old Weim
  • Thank you received: 105
Ditto what they said. Also you can give treats when you take him out and he does go when you command (even if he starts before you give the command just say it while he's going). Treats on top of lots of praise.

Also is there a certain spot he likes to go inside? Make sure everything is VERY clean. The pet enzyme cleaners work very well, or even white vinegar. You need to make sure that there is no trace of smell left. We also had to take up the rugs for a while because River's preferred spot was a rug, if we took it away it helped.

Also you can put a bell on the door you exit through and everytime you go out with him ring the bell, even add a command, to help him learn how to tell you he needs to go outside. Then whenever he rings it he gets to go outside.

I feel your pain! Our first pup still thinks that simply staring at us is the best way to tell us she needs to go out...doesn't work so well if we're asleep. I think she's trying to tell us with her brain ;)
Kate, River & Izze

Potty training Weimaraner Pup. HELP!!!!! 10 May 2011 08:27 #254617

• mom2charlie
  • Champion Weim
  • Thank you received: 7
whatagoon wrote:
Also you can put a bell on the door you exit through and everytime you go out with him ring the bell, even add a command, to help him learn how to tell you he needs to go outside. Then whenever he rings it he gets to go outside.

Agreed on the bells.....one of the best things we ever did for our boy. My sister-in-law made hers, but I took the easy route and bought them...I think they were called Poochie Bells. We hung them right next to the door we use to take him in and out, and every time we took him out to potty we rang the bells and said "outside"! He picked it up in no time, and they're loud enough that we can hear them anywhere in the house. He's still young, he'll get there!
The following user(s) said Thank You: GRAYGHOST1BLUE1

Potty training Weimaraner Pup. HELP!!!!! 10 May 2011 13:12 #254636

• atlweim
  • Champion Weim
ditto all that. as woodylane said, at that age take 'em out every time they wake up, eat, drink, play. and every couple of hours just for good measure. the idea is to always anticipate before they have to go and set them up to succeed by taking them outside. Then reward like crazy every time he potties outdoors. Not just a simple good boy, but several very special treats and throw a party over it - "wow, what a smart dog," on and on and on, every single time he potties outside. give the treats as soon as he finishes up - and treat every time he goes if he potties more than once on a trip outside. make him think that peeing or pooping outside is really the best thing that he'll ever do in your eyes and that it will be rewarded handsomely. that's how you create the incentive for him to tell you when he has to go. before long, the light bulb will come on - first they start looking up for the treat as soon as they squat, then next thing you know they're sitting by the door or coming to get you when they need to go out. you can eventually wean off the treats and party once they have it nailed down.

Potty training Weimaraner Pup. HELP!!!!! 10 May 2011 14:21 #254638

• woodylane
  • Wise Old Weim
  • Thank you received: 140
An addition in response to your original post, he should never be out of your sight at this age. With you or in a safe secure area like his
crate or confined to a small penned area with his crate if you have to leave him for more than two hours. Left running free will set you
up for failure and hard to backtrack. He will just keep peeing where he peed if not cleaned properly. (neutralized with vinegar or a
purchased product.)

I had two pee fails at that age. Both on a weekend right in front of us. One was during a Yankee game when we stood to cheer...she woke,
stood, and peed. The other one, i went to get a cup of tea, (already made in the pot so i just needed to pour...15 seconds), she woke up
and peed in front of me as i was walking back to her. :) My fault, my fail.

Success is not giving them the chance to fail. They can't help it. They don't know yet or have the muscle control to hold it.

Potty training Weimaraner Pup. HELP!!!!! 10 May 2011 14:30 #254639

woodylane wrote:
An addition in response to your original post, he should never be out of your sight at this age. With you or in a safe secure area like his
crate or confined to a small penned area with his crate if you have to leave him for more than two hours. Left running free will set you
up for failure and hard to backtrack. He will just keep peeing where he peed if not cleaned properly. (neutralized with vinegar or a
purchased product.)

I had two pee fails at that age. Both on a weekend right in front of us. One was during a Yankee game when we stood to cheer...she woke,
stood, and peed. The other one, i went to get a cup of tea, (already made in the pot so i just needed to pour...15 seconds), she woke up
and peed in front of me as i was walking back to her. :) My fault, my fail.

Success is not giving them the chance to fail. They can't help it. They don't know yet or have the muscle control to hold it.

I whole-heartedly agree with everyone, but especially this. My youngest is 2... I still don't trust him in a room by himself. He never picked up on giving me a clue to go out, and he has a problem with getting bladder infections a lot... both of which are the reason why I don't trust him. Lucas is 4 and he is just now getting the freedom of being left uncrated and unsupervised. Consistency is key. So, don't let that puppy out of your sight! :)
~ Sheena ~
www.friendswithfourpaws.org
"Adopt love... don't buy it"

"There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face." - Ben Williams

Rajah, Muppet & Squishy ~ RIP sweet angels

Potty training Weimaraner Pup. HELP!!!!! 10 May 2011 14:56 #254640

• capergirl
  • Housebroken
  • Thank you received: 4
I'm no expert but.....Gracie is 5 months and FINALLY lets us know when she needs to go out. Nothing was working for us then we hit upon something by accident. When she does her business outside, we started giving her the teeniest, tiniest piece of cheese....anything different from her training/normal treats. She was so excited to get that cheese she started whining or scratching at the door, then ran right to the fridge when she was done. We've slowly weined her off the cheese, but it worked! Good luck. :)

Potty training Weimaraner Pup. HELP!!!!! 12 May 2011 02:04 #254806

Yep I live by bell training!!!! Riley caught on very quickly and it works wonders! Good luck!
***Megan***
"If you think dogs can't count, try putting 3 dog biscuits in your pocket and then giving Fido only 2 of them."

Potty training Weimaraner Pup. HELP!!!!! 12 May 2011 07:42 #254809

• phiturtle
  • Puppy
  • Thank you received: 3
We used a christmass bell on our back door. Everytime we would take Muneca out - we would use the same words "go pee pee" ring the bell and take her out. She now rings the bell when she has to do her buisness... Sometimes she also rings it extra hard when she wants to go out to play. Either way, it works!

Good luck!

Potty training Weimaraner Pup. HELP!!!!! 12 May 2011 17:19 #254878

Thanks for all the replies!!

Sounds like bell training is the way to go. I have my bells on the way to me in the mail as we speak!!

Potty training Weimaraner Pup. HELP!!!!! 12 May 2011 18:05 #254882

• whatagoon
  • Wise Old Weim
  • Thank you received: 105
samuel827 wrote:
Thanks for all the replies!!

Sounds like bell training is the way to go. I have my bells on the way to me in the mail as we speak!!

Just as a warning they can figure out how to be rather demanding and annoying with the bell. Of course being potty trained is worth it. Izze is my little hummingbird who does not stop moving and always wants to be outside. She rings it frequently, constantly, never ending. You can even tell her mood by how nicely or demanding she rings it. We have actually taken the bell off the door before. Sometimes we have to distract her from the bell with an "on your bed" command. But she's a crazy one :D

Hope the training starts sticking soon!
Kate, River & Izze

Potty training Weimaraner Pup. HELP!!!!! 14 May 2011 00:05 #254975

[/quote]
Just as a warning they can figure out how to be rather demanding and annoying with the bell. Of course being potty trained is worth it. Izze is my little hummingbird who does not stop moving and always wants to be outside. She rings it frequently, constantly, never ending. You can even tell her mood by how nicely or demanding she rings it. We have actually taken the bell off the door before. Sometimes we have to distract her from the bell with an "on your bed" command. But she's a crazy one :D

Hope the training starts sticking soon![/quote]

Riley got like that where she would ring the bell whenever she just wanted to go out so we got used to ignoring her ringing it then she caught on and she would take the bell off the door when she really meant she needed to go out to go to the bathroom, she grew out of that stage, thank goodness. We actually took the little ball out of the inside of the bell so it still makes noise but not as loud... I am sure that bell training will help! Not only did we ring the bell when we went outside and say our key word like potty we also took her paw and hit the bell.... Good luck!!!
***Megan***
"If you think dogs can't count, try putting 3 dog biscuits in your pocket and then giving Fido only 2 of them."

Potty training Weimaraner Pup. HELP!!!!! 22 Aug 2011 18:55 #263303

samuel827 wrote:
Ok so Goose, my first weimaraner, is about 3 months old, and he still isnt fully potty trained. He will go just fine when taken out, but he wont give me any sort of clue that he has to go, and he will just go wherever in the house whenever he feels the desire.

Any ideas of what i can do to help this?

You took the words right out of my mouth! Jade is about 3 months old now, and she is having the EXACT same issue! I take her out, and she will use the bathroom just fine. But just like Goose, she will go inside on the carpet without warning. I'm definitely going to take some of the advice posted in the thread *Wish me Luck*

But I'm also noticing that she pees at least a half a dozen times in the span of about 30 minutes while she plays outside. But if I crate her or take a 30 minute walk with her, she won't pee at all. :? I'm not sure what to make of that. It's almost like she's not emptying her bladder when she goes or something...
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.191 seconds