Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Loose stools for puppy changing foods..normal?

Loose stools for puppy changing foods..normal? 05 Mar 2012 15:53 #273429

• aconklin03
  • Young Weim
  • Thank you received: 17
When we got our 12 week old puppy, Bailey, she was on Purina Puppy Chow since that's what the breeder was feeding her. I wanted to get her on something better ASAP, but also wanted to give her some time to adjust to her new home before doing so. After about a week at home we decided to try some 4health chicken and rice mixed into her puppy chow. She didn't seem to do well on this, with very loose stools and stools a lot more often. I wasn't sure if I should just wait it out, but I decided to switch to the Diamond Naturals Large Breed Puppy Lamb & Rice instead, as it had ingredients I liked a bit better anyway and seemed more suited to her needs. At the time I made this switch she was only eating about 1/3 4health and 2/3 puppy chow so I just stopped the 4health all together and switched to about 1/3 Diamond Naturals and 2/3 puppy chow. This was just yesterday. For the day her stools were perfect and I was thinking we figured things out. Now she's back to loose stools* again. Is this normal and I should just wait things out? I'm hoping I didn't totally mess her system up with the switch between 4health and Diamond Naturals so soon after I started the 4health..

*When I say loose stools I mean very loose and not really formed, but not liquid like absolute diarrhea either..
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Loose stools for puppy changing foods..normal? 05 Mar 2012 17:40 #273440

• iloveweims
  • Champion Weim
  • Thank you received: 90
Unfortunately, weims have very sensitive stomachs and a lot have food allergies :( . Gunnar had loose stool for months and months as a pup and we tried every food we could think of. We tried chicken, lamb, and fish. We finally switched to grain free and after a year, his stool is finally solid. It has been awhile since we had a puppy, so I'm sure there are plenty of others with more advice!
“If you don't own a dog, at least one, there is not necessarily anything wrong with you, but there may be something wrong with your life.”
― Roger Caras
The following user(s) said Thank You: aconklin03

Re: Loose stools for puppy changing foods..normal? 05 Mar 2012 20:07 #273448

• whatagoon
  • Wise Old Weim
  • Thank you received: 105
Soft serve poop! :lol: I think half the weim pups have had it. Fun right?

It can be so many things. Still some stress from the changes, puppy shots, worms, parasites, etc etc. First step with a puppy is always check for worms and parasites. They have such sensitive systems at that age.

Next is to realize that it may take some time to figure it out. It stinks cause you want to know what to do for them and see good results right away but not always a possibility. I would say pick one new food for now and slowly switch him over. General rule is 25%new/75%old, then 50/50, then 75%new/25% old. Also generally do not want to switch to the next level until the stool is good. But if you think something in the old food might be the culprit then of course don't make the switch last 3 months.

A lot on here feed raw or grain free kibble. Not all weims need grain free but a lot do well on it. I would almost say find one food out of the 3 you have now and use that before adding in another possibility-but that is just my opinion!

There are lots of posts on here about puppies and food, do some reading one cold evening to see if anything else helps you out.
Kate, River & Izze
The following user(s) said Thank You: aconklin03

Re: Loose stools for puppy changing foods..normal? 05 Mar 2012 20:24 #273450

• aconklin03
  • Young Weim
Well she didn't have worms as of last week when she went to the vet for her check up, so while I suppose she could have gotten them since I don't think that's it as the change in stools happened with the new food. She also hasn't had any shots since last Tuesday, so I don't think it's that. Stress of the new home could have something to do with it, but she seems settled in. Who knows what isn't visible though.

We're still at that 25/75 stage with the switch, I'll give it a few more days and go from there, hopefully there will be some type of improvement then. What I've noticed is that the stools immediately after eating are loose. Then if she goes again hours later it'll be well formed. Then, once she eats again the cycle repeats itself. I'm not sure what exactly this means though..

I have looked into grain free, I'm trying to keep with a food that fits into our budget better, which the Diamond Naturals does, from what I've researched it seems that going grain free would considerably up the food costs. If she needs it, of course we'll switch to it, but I'm definitely crossing my fingers that a more reasonably priced food will sit well with her!

Re: Loose stools for puppy changing foods..normal? 11 Mar 2012 09:01 #273823

• luvmyweimz
  • Puppy
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi I had the same problem with my 2 puppies.They are 10 months now. Once we got rid of Giardia and whatever else they had. they still had loose stools. they went from Purina puppy chow to chicken soup for the puppy lovers soul.then I changed to california natural lamb and rice large breed adult formula. their stool is fine unless they eat bark then they get the runs again.
Rachel and Zachary's Mom

Re: Loose stools for puppy changing foods..normal? 11 Mar 2012 10:13 #273832

• Donlea
  • Puppy
I made the change with our puppy over 3 weeks from Skinners Field & Trial to Burns Mini Bites with no problem at all, infact, what was a terribly windy, stinky puppy is now no longer filling the room with stinkies lol

Re: Loose stools for puppy changing foods..normal? 11 Mar 2012 16:50 #273845

• agilcasa
  • Young Weim
  • Thank you received: 15
I've been switching Luna slowly from Purina Puppy Chow the breeder was feeding her to TOTW puppy formula. We have been increasing the TOTW 25% each time we increase. Her stool is soft and then hardens as her body gets used to the extra nutrients the better food provides. It has been a week and a half now and she's at 3/4 TOTW.

I would recommend doing as I have done as Luna's switch to her new food is almost complete with no bumps in the road. Just wait for your pup's body to get used to the new level of food and then bump up the portion and repeat until fully switched

If the pup's stool never seems to harden enough to merit upping the portion of new food, I would stray away from that food completely. My guess would be the pup's system just didn't agree with the food for whatever the reason.

Good luck! I've read posts on this forum of people trying food after brand after formula to find what sits best with their Weim.
Last Edit: 11 Mar 2012 16:51 by agilcasa.

Re: Loose stools for puppy changing foods..normal? 13 Mar 2012 10:49 #274021

• aconklin03
  • Young Weim
Well, I don't know if we did the right thing or not, but once she was at 50/50 with no significantly loose poops I did away with the puppy chow all together because she was so gassy and had been since we brought her home. I was starting to wonder if the puppy chow being in her diet at all was causing her issues, especially since she also had red eyes and itchy skin. She had "soft serve poop" for about a day after that and now has been doing fine for the last few days with just the Diamond Naturals and no puppy chow. She has completely formed poops, sometimes a little soft, but still well formed. The gas is gone too, no silent but deadly puppy farts and her eyes look a bit clearer too since she's been off the puppy chow. She's also not been itching herself nearly as much.
Time to create page: 0.140 seconds