Image 1
Image 2
Image 3
Image 4
Image 5
HomeForumGeneralGeneral Weim DiscussionWinter coats/Sweaters for my Weim!
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Questions about slight urination incontinence and "bumps"

Questions about slight urination incontinence and "bumps" 24 May 2011 12:03 #255860

• showme
  • Puppy
Hey, all, we have a question about a problem Macy has just started having. She's about 11 months old, and we've had no problem with this until the last week. She has started "dribbling" after, and sometimes between, trips outside to urinate. It's not much, and she doesn't seem to notice when it happens, but my wife is taking her to the vet tomorrow to have it checked out. Just so it's known, Verla put her in a local kennel for about 4 days about 10 days ago when I had to go into the hospital for a week. The kennel\groomer is a respected place locally, but all the same there is an open 'together time' when the dogs are allowed into a big open area indoors together. (Also outside time, but I think they are taken out seperately for that). We had never noticed the dripping before that. Any opinions on what this might be?
Secondly, Macy had a bb size bump under her skin on the top of her head a few weeks ago, which kind of reminded me of what might be an ingrown hair. It has since gone away, but now we've noticed one one her left flank at her ribs, and now another on her left neck at about her collar area. Are these normal? Thanks for any replies. Oh, and some good news. The dark spots that she developed on her head, back and hips have certainly gone away, just like a couple of the members of the forum said had happened with their Weims! Guess it's a thing with 8-10 month old pups of this breed.
WAIT!! Another question!! We've been invaded by cicada's in the last week here in Missouri, and Macy seems to think they are great treats. When we take her out for walks or to potty, she spends more time sniffing out and eating the bugs than anything else. Is this bad for her to eat them? Could this be something that is causing the urinary problem? Thanks again for any info or opinions anyone might have on my two questions above. Lee
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Questions about slight urination incontinence and "bumps" 24 May 2011 12:08 #255861

• weimamama
  • Thank you received: 53
she could have a UTI... keep an eye on the bumps...note size changes and locations. I'd mention them to the vet when Verla brings her in for the incontinence.

Adopt a Senior Weim... Old dogs can teach you new tricks!
Old Dogs Rule

hotdogjunie.blogspot.com

Questions about slight urination incontinence and "bumps" 24 May 2011 12:10 #255862

• tripodoz
  • Adult Weim
  • Thank you received: 8
Hey Show-me! I noticed you are from Park Hills.....I am up north from you in the great Jeffrson County (DeSoto). I will forever call your area Flat River! HA! :lol:

As far as the cicadas, Ozzie can't figure where the noise is coming from and he just runs around barking at the air!

Questions about slight urination incontinence and "bumps" 24 May 2011 12:17 #255864

She may have a UTI. It's not that uncommon in bitches of her age as the hormone/urinary tract develops. Is she spayed?

As far as the cicadas I wouldn't worry about her eating them. My dogs have eaten worse things and I believe that humans in some cultures eat them.

The bumps could be flea bites or little staph bumps. As long as she doesn't get more of them it's not a huge issue but show them to the vet just in case.
Pam

Questions about slight urination incontinence and "bumps" 24 May 2011 17:50 #255886

• showme
  • Puppy
Thanks, everyone! We figured it is a UTI, and hopefully the vet will take care of that tomorrow. I was wondering if her being around the other dogs may have started it, like drinking out of another bowl or something. She was spayed about 2 months ago, has had all of her shots and stuff, and we only feed her Diamond Naturals dog food. She, like most dogs we've had, seems to have some sense of sensor built in when we take her on walks, that leads her to cat poop. Try to stop her, but it's usually too late by the time we realize it. She actually went after a small dog turd the other night, to which I promptly scolded her and actually reached down and forced her jaws open to retrieve it, then suddenly realized what I was doing, and stopped. (Gross).
The first bump that appeared suddenly disappeared after about a week. We're watching the two that we've found on her neck and hip, and Verla will ask about that tomorrow, too.
Tripodz, I lived in DeSoto for years. Went to jr high and high school there, and my wife is from there. Her last name was Johnston. My last name is Butcher. And I was raised in Flat River, actually. We've been rehabbing a house down here for a few years. Personally, I can't wait to get back out to the country. I make it up to DeSoto mostly to visit my Mom's grave these days. Verla's dad just passed away in February, and they're selling his house on Perry Street where Verla grew up, so come up for that occasionally. Oh, and I still get my hair cut over on East Main by the Arlington (Jan Davis). Maybe sometime we can get together out at Walthers park and let the dogs play!

Questions about slight urination incontinence and "bumps" 24 May 2011 18:22 #255888

UTI's are not contagious.
Pam

Questions about slight urination incontinence and "bumps" 24 May 2011 20:59 #255893

• pjhootch
  • Champion Weim
  • Thank you received: 44
Hard to tell where the UTI came from, like humans, some dogs suffer from them more than others. Dehydration can cause bacteria buildup and infection, however, so it is possible she went too long without water or just picked up some strange bacteria while kenneled . However, that is just a possibility and nothing to fret over.

George gets noticeable bumps from bug bites. Even the little gnats can get to him since his coat is so light. If they come and go in about a week that sounds about right for bug bites. If they seem to be bothering her give her a benadryl for some relief.

Don't worry about the eating of bugs unless she tries to eat stinging bugs. We've had a few pups go through bug phases. George's first summer he was fascinated by June bugs, and once he had too many he would leave us a little june bug vomit presents somewhere.

Questions about slight urination incontinence and "bumps" 02 Jun 2011 17:37 #256843

• showme
  • Puppy
Finally getting back on to update what Verla found at the vet's office on Macy's UTI and the bumps. The vet said it was, indeed, a UTI and we've got Macy on antibiotics for it. When Verla asked the vet how she might have gotten it, the vet mentioned that sometimes when pets are kennelled, they don't get to pee as often as they might be used to. Sometimes holding the urine in their bladder for longer periods than normal can cause a urinary tract infection. So, that's what we found about that.
The small bumps under her coat were clogged oil pores, the doctor said. She said it's a normal thing, and opened one up by just scratching at it to show my wife the oily stuff inside of it. she likened it to a subaceous cyst, caused by a pore getting clogged. So, that answers that question!
The cicada's have brought up another problem. After I told my wife that they shouldn't harm Macy, she started letting Macy sit out on our front porch and eat all she wanted. Didn't seem to cause a problem, until Macy stopped eating her food. After Macy vomited up a few of them (after eating grass while I was letting her run), my wife quit letting her eat cicada's at all. She started eating again within a day or so. Strange thing is, I ran into a good friend of mine at the gas station today, and I told him about our dog after seeing a cicada on the floor in the store. He told me he had read a few reports of dogs that eat cicadas and said it wasn't good, becuase the cicadas give them a false sense of being full, and they stop eating their food. He said that there were quite a few reports that, after not eating their food for a prolonged period, some dogs had died after a few weeks from not eating healthy normal food. My friend is a really intelligent guy, and when I asked him if he was joking, he said No, it's really true. So, that's what I've found about that. They may not be bad for pets, but they could keep them from eating enough to do harm. So, thank you for all the input and help, and all is well again at the Butcher household! :D
Time to create page: 0.163 seconds