HomeForumGeneralGeneral Weim Discussionlarge kennel in the basement of our new home?!
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Weimaraner and Jackets

Weimaraner and Jackets 04 Oct 2010 00:58 #230990

• Witt
  • Puppy
I have a 7 month old Weimaraner and it will be his first winter coming up... we live in Minnesota and it gets REALLY cold. We were thinking of buying a doggy jacket for him for his walks, as it is getting chilly already. Does anyone else put a jacket on their Weim? I would hate to put one on him if he doesn't need it, but since he hardly has a coat of fur, I want to make sure he doesn't freeze!!

Thanks!!
I LOVE MY BOYS :-) !
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Weimaraner and Jackets 04 Oct 2010 05:05 #230991

I'm in Indiana and I always put a jacket on my weims in the winter! Its way to cold for them and they dont have alot of hair! :P

Weimaraner and Jackets 04 Oct 2010 06:01 #230995

• ziggie
  • Wise Old Weim
  • Thank you received: 222
I'm in Indiana too and we always put a coat on Ziggie. He is just a naturally cold dog. Some dogs handle the cold better than others though. I actually ordered a custom coat made to Ziggie's measurements from an etsy seller. :)

Kinsey and Ziggie

Weimaraner and Jackets 04 Oct 2010 08:28 #231004

• woodylane
  • Wise Old Weim
  • Thank you received: 140
I have always put coats on mine. I tried to use the 'search' for you but can't find the other thread
from last winter. Many choices and often don't fit well and cause chaffing under the arms,
like the neoprene ones. (but you can cut the armholes larger for a custom fit).

It is really just those windy blustery mornings that get to my pups. Bob has much thicker fur
than most. Connie had the usual bald belly.

As a starting point, the one from LandsEnd is the first one i bought 16 yrs ago. Well made and has been
washed a hundred times. Fleece lined and sheds sleet and rain. BUT, i wish it had a flap in the design that
covered the breast/chest area. So it isn't perfect. I was halfway through re-designing it last year before
the spring sun came out...probably still under the sewing table.

Others here have some swell coats. I suppose its time to bring on the fashion show?

So, i'm not recommending the LandsEnd one really. Just giving advice what to look for. It is easy-on-off
and fits the Weim well...Seems a bit tight on this bulldog :lol:
(remember 16 years ago we didn't have internet shopping) Choices were limited.

Weimaraner and Jackets 04 Oct 2010 11:52 #231030

• weimamama
  • Thank you received: 53
Welcome to WA, Witt!
We have quite a few other Weims from MN here that can chime in w/ what they do in winter.

Do stop by our welcome area and introduce yourself and post a picture or 2 or 20 :lol: we LOVE pictures here! You will get a warm welcome :D and maybe not need a coat LOL! :lol:

Adopt a Senior Weim... Old dogs can teach you new tricks!
Old Dogs Rule

hotdogjunie.blogspot.com

Weimaraner and Jackets 04 Oct 2010 11:58 #231035

• poisonivvy
  • Adult Weim
  • Thank you received: 11
Ben and Elsa wear coats occasionally during the winter.

It's either way cold and windy (below zero) or snowing/sleeting when they wear them. They have the Fido Fleece brand.

Here they are modeling (and Elsa's getting snarky because she doesn't like waiting for Mom to put on her snow pants)

Weimaraner and Jackets 04 Oct 2010 13:03 #231043

• idaviruma
  • Wise Old Weim
  • Thank you received: 4
Those are cute :)

I bought couple jackets this summer when they were on clearance, a fleece vest by canine equipment and a softshell jacket by columbia like this one, I have yet to try them out though.

Weatherbeeta makes really nice (and inexpensive coats)
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4069/4315810253_15a4bd0ea4_z.jpg?zz=1

http://www.adamshorsesupply.com/browse.cfm/4,8104.html

http://www.adamshorsesupply.com/browse.cfm/4,9070.html
Please take a moment to check these great organizations, they need our help!
~ Help Save One~
www.helpsaveone.org

~Coalition to Unchain Dogs~
www.unchaindogs.net

Weimaraner and Jackets 04 Oct 2010 13:09 #231045

• weimamama
  • Thank you received: 53
google
chillydawgs
they area canadian company that makes awesome dog coats and one of their main models is a Weim!! The woman who runs the company is super nice, too!

Adopt a Senior Weim... Old dogs can teach you new tricks!
Old Dogs Rule

hotdogjunie.blogspot.com

Weimaraner and Jackets 04 Oct 2010 16:38 #231071

• christina
  • Wise Old Weim
  • Thank you received: 4
We use dog coats. Starr gets SO cold.

Here are some water proof one we purchased last year:

But I have to agree like Uno's mom said, the Weatherbeeta ones are the BEST I have found so far and they were only like $10 bucks on sale through Stateline track last year if I remember correctly.

Please rescue, www.louisvilleweimrescue.com We need foster homes in KY, IN and OH.

Weimaraner and Jackets 04 Oct 2010 16:54 #231074

• ziggie
  • Wise Old Weim
  • Thank you received: 222
This is Ziggie's coat.

We got it from http://www.etsy.com/listing/41693127/medium-or-large-fleece-and-sherpa-custom
She makes the coat to your dog's measurements and you get to pick the fleece pattern.

Kinsey and Ziggie

Weimaraner and Jackets 04 Oct 2010 21:26 #231120

• jdsinger
  • Adult Weim
  • Thank you received: 1
We live in Toronto, so it gets plenty cold here!

I don't have any great pics, but Whiskey has a coat similar to the ones posted by Woodylane. It is actually from a horse supply store; it's a similar design to the blankets/coats they use on horses. And the best part is that it was only $20! Which was great last winter when he was a growing puppy and went through 2 different sizes in one long Canadian winter. :)

I think horse supply stores tend to sell dog coats, so you can check and see if there are any in your area.

Weimaraner and Jackets 04 Oct 2010 21:37 #231124

• miloandme
  • Thank you received: 131
I'm going to chime in and say that my dogs do not wear coats. Yes, we live in Texas, but we used to live in South Dakota and they never needed coats there either. BUT, everyone looks very handsome in their coat pictures!

Weimaraner and Jackets 04 Oct 2010 22:21 #231134

We have a simple fleece coat that we got off Etsy, but I've found coats are more trouble than they're worth...they get caked with snow, get wet, rub etc. So no coats for us, and we're in Canada. If it's dangerously cold, we just don't go out. Otherwise it has to be offleash so he can run to stay warm. Brrr....can we stop talking about winter??? LOL
April Mallon

Weimaraner and Jackets 04 Oct 2010 22:44 #231136

• oregonweim
  • Wise Old Weim
Witt wrote:
I have a 7 month old Weimaraner and it will be his first winter coming up... we live in Minnesota and it gets REALLY cold. We were thinking of buying a doggy jacket for him for his walks, as it is getting chilly already. Does anyone else put a jacket on their Weim? I would hate to put one on him if he doesn't need it, but since he hardly has a coat of fur, I want to make sure he doesn't freeze!!

Thanks!!

My rule of thumb when living in CT was if I was cold, they are cold. Sometimes if it was reaaaaaallllllllly cold I'd put jackets on the short hairs, but never once did they not want their daily run. Now with a puppy you have to be much more cautious would definitely coat him up and limit time outside, but I generally still got at a minimum the two mile walk in.

My Boy Finbar had his own coat :D

Some days I would put coats on short hairs but not always..

Aussie loved the cold

Just remember they enjoy a good fire after the walk...

Weimaraner and Jackets 04 Oct 2010 23:01 #231137

• oregonweim
  • Wise Old Weim
don't ask me how I found this old thread :D

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="www.weimaraneraddict.com/discussion/we-w...rk-monday-t7573.html">we-went-to-the-park-monday-t7573.html<!-- l -->
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.168 seconds