Image 2
Image 3
Image 4
Image 5
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Ear problems

Ear problems 30 Jan 2008 08:23 #50564

Kyree has had lots of brown gunk in her ears which I have been cleaning out with q-tips and damp tissues. I haven't got water in her ears. Now the outside flap of her ear is very dry and red. It always smells when I clean them out. Anne - I saw your posting about the blue power ear treatment. I'm going to try that today. Do you know of anything to put on that outside part of her ear. Can anyone help? Also does anyone know of a good vet in Apache Junction, Arizona. The vet I have been using I don't care for. Twice I have taken my dogs in for surgery only to have them call me while they are under to say that they need to do something else and it will cost more money.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Ear problems 30 Jan 2008 11:06 #50603

• jkashlak
  • Adult Weim
Hello, if it is stinky and brownish color it is usually a yeast infection.
All knowledge, the totality of all questions and all answers, is contained in the dog.- Franz Kafka

Ear problems 30 Jan 2008 13:20 #50638

• cathy
  • Wise Old Weim
  • Thank you received: 2
Marley keeps getting ear infections like that. Gross, huh? I have to get her more medicine tomorrow.

"When a Weimaraner doesn't know what it is supposed to do, it can be counted on to do all the wrong things."

Ear problems 30 Jan 2008 14:52 #50659

• fensmom
  • Housebroken
Could it be you are cleaning them too often? This can cause a lot of irritation also and cause the system to think it needs to produce more wax... making for a nasty cycle of things.

We clean Fen's ears once every 2 weeks with a special ear cleaner we got from the vets office (it's over the counter) I just squirt the stuff down his ear.. rub it around (from the outside of the ear) for a min. The wrap my fingers in gause (sp?) and rub it about till I got all the yuck out.

Prior to this plan of action Fen's ears were not so nice either and could cause a stink.... The clearner stuff was only like 10.00 I think... I'm at work but if you want the name I can get it for you when I get home.
"Fen, get down, Fen, get your nose off the counter right now."

Ear problems 30 Jan 2008 15:34 #50671

Here are some thoughts on some natural stuff you can try

First, I use "miss meyer's pet ear wipes" they're all natural-nothing chemical no perfumes dyes preservatives

second if her skin is dry on her ears it could be over cleaning or she might just have sensitive skin. In either case giving her flax seed oil, borage oil, fish oil or any combo of the three with help to internally moisturize her and keep that problem from happening in the future.

third if you think it's yeast put some probiotics in her food. being on a regular probiotic regimen will help with any yeast problems. it balances that bad bacteria by making sure they have enough good bacteria.

Ear problems 30 Jan 2008 21:14 #50741

• wildlifecr13
  • Wise Old Weim
  • Thank you received: 1
also, try to make sure there is no brewers yeast in their diet - this cut out ear infections for us.
A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself. -Josh Billings

Ear problems 30 Jan 2008 21:52 #50755

griffey was having the same problem, we were worried that it was ear mites because my bf's last dog had them and it could have still been in his house. he was also shaking his head a lot and rubbing his ears with his paw
i bought a medication off of petmeds for ear mites and other ear problems. after a few doses and a good cleaning the brown gunk seems to be coming less and less

Ear problems 31 Jan 2008 09:03 #50867

• oregonweim
  • Wise Old Weim
  • Thank you received: 136
Ours (well the short hairs) are always getting yeast build up and 'redness' on the ears. Regular cleaning (canal too, not surface) best thing to do. We also have so much medicine for ears if we sense/smell anything funny we just put them right on it too.

Ear problems 01 Feb 2008 17:30 #51175

• rosko
  • Young Weim
Our vet gave us this stuff when Rosko got a slight yeast infection at around 10 weeks or so:

http://www.entirelypets.com/derskinandea.html

Luckily, they match internet prices so it was only $14.99 instead of $36!

Really good stuff. Hypo-Allergenic and all that.

We do Rosko's ears about twice a week; however, he's in a two week stretch right now while his dog park wound heals.

The Acetic, in particular, is excellent at killing waterborn bacterias and the like. Great for cleaning after a swim or bath.

We've had _zero_ ear problems since using this stuff. Fill the ear, slush around, two cotton swabs to clean it out. Easy.

Ear problems 20 Feb 2008 19:19 #54725

Just wanted to let you know I used the blue power treatment and it worked great. I also have an australian shephard and the vet had given me something for his ears and they were just getting worse and worse. They looked awful. I used that in his ears and they really are coming along alot faster that the stuff I got from the vet. They don't like it when I put it in, but it sure is working.

I just wanted to say that you are all great. I really didn't think I was going to keep Kyree. My husband doesn't like her, and she was so hard to handle. I have been using NLIF and she is much better. She sits before she goes out, she sits for her food, she waits until I say before she crawls in bed with me. The only thing we are still working on is the pulling, the garbage (I have a squirt gun for that and she sits as soon as I pick it up) and jumping on people who come to the door. It is a constant battle, but I know there is an end in sight.

Ear problems 20 Feb 2008 21:17 #54750

Gunther's ears were black inside when we adopted him...I use NaturVets Ear Wash and put it on a cotton ball. His ears are in great shape now.

I clean them every few weeks or so or if they get a bath or have been swimming.
http://www.weimaraneraddict.com/discussion/gallery2.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=17071

"Home is where your dog is"

Ear problems 22 Feb 2008 08:55 #54987

I really like Dr. B at Ocotillo Animal Clinic in Chandler. I have 2 friends that referred me to her. I haven't heard about anyone having issues with prices, but sometimes unexpected things happen and they may need to get your consent if the procedure will cost more money, so I would think that is good that they're notifying you. Dr. B is very warm, caring, and loving, and tries to educate pet owners. We love her! Several of the employees have commented on how much they like working there as well, which is a great sign.

Ear problems 22 Feb 2008 12:04 #55022

• anne
  • Wise Old Weim
  • Thank you received: 1
kboucher,
Sorry I missed your original post, and I'm glad you tried the Blue Power Treatment. It is very good stuff and effective even if messy. Also cheaper than anything you can buy. The main ingredient is Gentian Violet, it is sometimes used in babies' mouths for thrush so I feel pretty OK putting it in a dog's ears!
Also supplement your dogs diets with some probiotics from either yogurt or a supplement. That should make it so you'll likely be able to stop using ear treatment all together for the most part.
www.justweimaraners.com
Online magazine, community and source for all things Weim!
Time to create page: 0.194 seconds