HomeForumGeneralGeneral Weim DiscussionCutest weimaraner pajamas on amazon
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Itchy Rash/ Bald spot/ Shaking ears

Itchy Rash/ Bald spot/ Shaking ears 01 May 2012 19:30 #276913

• JoseysMommy
  • Young Weim
  • Thank you received: 1
First off Josey has been shaking her head and flapping her ears for a few weeks! I have cleaned them and put some ear infection antibiotic in them once or twice. It is an act of congress to get her to come to me when I have a mysterious bottle in my hand! She is too smart for me! I am guessing ear infection. BUT then last week we start to notice that she is balding and scratching her head. It isn't really a rash but just she is loosing hair like crazy EVERYWHERE starting behind her ears and under her neck. She was spayed almost 2 weeks ago. I know I need to take her to the vet (but no time, I just started a new job and can't take off.) but in the meantime any suggestions?

Today I bought her new better food, grain free Blue Buffalo. She was using the rachel ray food! I switched out rawhides with deer antlers (any suggeestions on cheapers ones?) Bathed her in oatmeal shampoo and applied a Hot Spot gel that is suppose to kill fungus. I also have been giving her some benadryl and started her on probiotics in her food daily. I REALLY don't want to go to the vet, but I will take her in a few days if this doesn't seem to help! Suggestions?
"Weims were made to be odd!" -- My Vet

The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Itchy Rash/ Bald spot/ Shaking ears 01 May 2012 20:57 #276916

What you are doing sounds good to me. It will take a couple weeks I would think to see improvement. If it gets horribly worse then a trip to the vet would be a good idea. Add in some fish oil also. You may also want to halt the benedryl through these changes. Good luck

Itchy Rash/ Bald spot/ Shaking ears 02 May 2012 02:24 #276922

• Harrysmumnic
  • Adult Weim
  • Thank you received: 46
Harry had very bad ear problems and bald patches under his ears. Black gunk, head shaking, scratching. Months later we have found he has a chicken allergy!!!!! An ear infection that goes on and on is a sign of another problem like food/contact allergy.

Re: Itchy Rash/ Bald spot/ Shaking ears 02 May 2012 09:03 #276925

• Zeldas Mom
  • Puppy
  • Thank you received: 2
when we first got Zelda, she was eating eukanuba. I continued her on that, then switched to holistic select. I was noticing how often i had to clean her ears, literally once a week. And always plenty of gunk. Then finally found a store in my area that sold grain free options, and since I hopped on that train, I clean her ears once a month, tops. Definitely some dogs do fine with some grain in their diet, but not all. Its good to keep in tune with how your pup's body deals with new or different exposures, too (diet or environmental). I'm sure you'll find out whats going on with yours!

Re: Itchy Rash/ Bald spot/ Shaking ears 03 May 2012 06:48 #276964

• JoseysMommy
  • Young Weim
  • Thank you received: 1
Thanks guys! I def feel better that we are on the right track! Since the antibiotic ear drops the shaking has stopped right now, but the gas is running me out of the house!! OMG it is horrible :sick: ! I am hoping this is just from the change in food and will go away SOON! She still is loosing hair but I am brushing her daily and applying an antifungal gel! Guessing this will take a week or 2 to see a change as well? Thanks again!
"Weims were made to be odd!" -- My Vet

Re: Itchy Rash/ Bald spot/ Shaking ears 10 May 2012 15:44 #277310

• Lily
  • Puppy
Lily had a bad gas problem also. It is not the food. They eat too fast and that builds up air. You can buy a stainless steel ball to put in their food bowl. they have to push it out of the way to eat so it slows them down. We got one at Pet Smart and it works great.

Re: Itchy Rash/ Bald spot/ Shaking ears 18 Feb 2013 15:32 #294182

My dog has ear and skin problems the ear problems were a yeast infection and you can get cheap meds at the vet to fix this along with washing out the ears daily with epiotic. My dog did not like when I squirted it in his ear and vet suggested soaking a cotton ball with the ear wash then putting it in his ear & this works much better dog does not fight or run away anymore when its ear cleaning time.

Good luck with the allergies if that's what your dog has like mine I have spent tons of money trying to figure that one out and no luck.

Re: Itchy Rash/ Bald spot/ Shaking ears 18 Feb 2013 16:36 #294184

• Awalter
  • Wise Old Weim
  • Thank you received: 180
You got tons of good advice on all the other stuff. We too had a bout with yeast infections and as soon as i'd touch the tube of ear drops Portia would run for the hills! Or just run around me in circles like it was some kind of sick game she was playing with me. :lol:

So as far as the deer antlers go, I'm not sure where you are buying them but usually amazon or other website like petflow.com have slightly better prices than your usual petco or petsmart. Or better yet find some people that hunt and dont mind giving up some antlers ;) My sister's finacee hunts but alas didn't get anything this year. :pinch:

Good luck with everything else! Hope she's feeling better soon!

Alexis & Portia

Re: Itchy Rash/ Bald spot/ Shaking ears 13 Aug 2013 20:25 #306643

• rooty
  • Puppy
When my dog was smaller I had to put a length of chain inside her food dish so she would eat slower. As for diet, I think this dog is allergic to the world and I finally gave up and just buy frozen ground turkey, add frozen veggies, and compliment with a frozen turkey neck. She loves it so it seems to work fine. I tend to mix it up with some beef hearts and tripe from time to time also. Its not that much if it is bought in bulk or from a meat wholesaler.

Re: Itchy Rash/ Bald spot/ Shaking ears 06 Jul 2014 19:58 #314332

Hi, new to this site. 1 yr. old female "blue" weim with bald spots on top of head and scratching at neck. Also licks bottom. Vet tested skin sample and it showed no infection. She sheds excessively. (Our first weim was a silver and no skin problems.) I add fish oil to her Blue brand - beef dry food. I'll try switching food to chicken. If it's general allergies, does anyone use Benadryl and has it helped? Thank you.
Time to create page: 0.146 seconds