Image 1
Image 2
Image 3
Image 4
Image 5
HomeForumHealth and NutritionNutritionLoose stools for puppy changing foods..normal?
Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Brain Tumor

Brain Tumor 06 Oct 2009 10:36 #180567

• stormy
  • Puppy
Hi,

I had posted this in another thread, but this may be a better place for it. My 11.5 year old weim, Stormy was diagnosed with a brain tumor on 8/27/09. She had a seizure and has never had one before, and this is the most likely cause. She is on phenobarbitol and doing well. She drags her back toes a bit, and does some pacing at night, but otherwise seems well. Does anyone have any experience with this? According to the internet, it sounds like it could be a memingioma, and she would have about 80 days (40 some days, now) Any idea of what I can expect?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Brain Tumor 06 Oct 2009 20:41 #180687

Hey there - just wanted to say I am going through the exact same thing you are right now. My girl is the same age, started having seizures in August, and is on Phenobarb. Ethel occasionally drags her back toes too, but I think that has more to do with her arthritis then any side effects from the Phenobarb. She only really does it when she gets up off the couch...and at that its less than a minute. I haven't experienced her doing any pacing.

I'm trying to remember all the details of your first post on your situation. Did you get a definite diagnosis of a brain tumor? Or did your vet tell you it was most likely a brain tumor? From what I understand, Phenobarb will not stop brain tumor seizures. For my situation, I chose not to spend 2 grand on a neurologist...but instead treat the seizures to see if they stopped. My vet told me that if the seizures persisted that is would most likely be a brain tumor causing the problems, and that occasional seizures would turn into cluster seizures.

What is the dosage of Phenobarb your Stormy is on? I'm curious because I was very weary of starting my girl off on a high dosage. Infact, I wanted to start her lower than where we are now and build up if needed. I'm sure you went through the same heartbreaking acclimation period to the medication as we did...and I'm really happy to hear Stormy is doing better now.

Hang in there, and take each good day you get with Stormy one at a time. I had to make myself stop worrying about what future days would bring with with Ethel's health problems. Now I just spoil her rotten daily with extra hugs and kisses and play time, and of coarse peanut butter :)

Sending you and Stormy my best thoughts!

-Colleen

Brain Tumor 07 Oct 2009 10:25 #180765

• stormy
  • Puppy
Hi Colleen,

wow, sorry to hear about Ethel, but it is nice to know someone going through the same thing. The vet suspects a brain tumor, due to the age that the first seizure hit, I have also read on the internet, that a first seizure at this age is the most common sign of a brain tumor. Stormy started the toe dragging in the spring, and at first I thought it was arthritis, or just age, but she shows no stiffness, or pain in the leg and it originally was just one leg. She really only does it when I walk her outside, but now she does it with both back legs, a bit. She also shows some weakness in her hind legs, like jumping on the bed is not as easy, etc. Weims being so much bigger in the front than the back probably doesn't help either.

When she went on the pheno, the vet started her at the recommended dose of 60mg but she was sleeping constantly, drinking like crazy and had a few accidents in the house. The worst side effect was the stumbling, falling, legs going out or crossing over. I was afraid she would go head first down the stairs. However, the stumbling effect was getting better, but we cut the dose to 30mg and all of the side effects went away. Her blood test shows the drug is still in her system, but I also read about pheno not having any effect on seizures due to brain tumor, I also read just the oppisite! With the internet, who knows! I have read that brain tumors are common, I have read that they are rare! Stormy also seems to not always listen to her commands, like she has to sit in a specific spot while we are eating dinner. Some days she just won't do it. She seems to know what is expected, because she keeps inching up rather than blowing off the command all together. Other days she listens perfectly. Some times it is hard to know. Another thing I read was that they have a couple of months left once they are diagnosed, maybe 3, which would mean that Stormy would have about 40 days left, however, she doesn't look like a dog that has 40 days left. I didn't do the MRI or anything, because I didn't want to put her thru it, and I wouldn't do the surgery or radiation anyway. I don't think I would do that even if she were younger, it sound very hard on them. Stormy's vet said the same thing, that eventually she would continue to have seizures, and go into status eplictus and would not be able to be brought out of it.

If I can take any comfort at all in this, is at least I won't have to see old age ravage her and try to judge how many good days she has vs how many bad, I am hoping she keeps having good days until a seizure takes her, even if she has to be put to sleep from it.

Keep in touch, it is comforting to know someone knows exactly what it is like

Nicole

Brain Tumor 11 Oct 2009 18:15 #181193

Nicole,
I've been hesitating to reply because the last thing I want to do is discourage you. I am sincerely hoping you do not have to experience what we have over the last couple of days. Friday evening Ethel had another seizure and it was more intense than any of the previous ones we had witnessed. Then she had another at 4:30 am Saturday morning. I was able to contact my vet Saturday morning who said to up her Pheno 25%, which we did. The seizures continued, getting closer together. We took her to an emergency vet mid afternoon who gave her a double shot of valume and said to triple (180mg) her Pheno dosage in an effort to get the seizures to stop long enough to get her to our regular vet monday morning. We took her home and she continued to seizure every 2-4 hours. We knew with the amount of medication she was under she should have been completely knocked out, and with the seizures continuing our options were running out. Finally at 2:30am Sunday morning she had yet another very intense seizure. After it was over she stood up, walked a few steps then collapsed and released her bladder. I knew then our fight was done. My husband and I said our goodbyes to Ethel at 3:30 am this morning when we had her put to sleep. We are indescribably sad and devastated over her loss. I am grateful we got a good, happy month from her before we let her go. She was perfect...a gentle and kind soul since we brought her home when she was 6 weeks old.

Brain Tumor 12 Oct 2009 05:27 #181224

• zoie
  • Wise Old Weim
  • Thank you received: 149
I am so sorry that it was time to let Ethel go.
She will be with you always in your heart. May she and all of our beloved friends run free.

Brain Tumor 12 Oct 2009 05:54 #181227

i am so sorry to hear about Ethel.. i know exactly how you feel.. my weim angel, Boo.. had seizures.. they gave him his wings, as well..
my best advice is to weigh the good and bad days.. the worst thing is to watch your weimbaby suffer, regardless of age..
sending you love and strength..
HoochMamas
weimaraners, like dogs.. only human.

Brain Tumor 12 Oct 2009 07:30 #181231

• stormy
  • Puppy
Hi Colleen,

I am so sorry to hear about Ethel, that must have been the hardest thing to watch, I can only imagine. I am so sorry. Thanks for thinking of Stormy, I keep telling myself that I am prepared to be as brave and strong as you have been, because I know I owe it to her. I only hope I can live up to her expectation, and what she deserves.

Nicole

Brain Tumor 12 Oct 2009 13:02 #181256

I really appreciate the condolences, everyone. Ethel was one of those once in a lifetime dogs. I'm so lucky she was mine.

Brain Tumor 12 Oct 2009 13:36 #181265

• iris
  • Wise Old Weim
  • Thank you received: 5
WOW i am just speachless I think. I am so very sorry you lost your baby girl, her picture was always one of my favorites. I have that you all have to go through this pain, and poor babies. :( :(
My Life, My Love, My weims!
iris

Brain Tumor 15 Oct 2009 12:47 #181683

• stormy
  • Puppy
Stormy had another seizure last night, again in her sleep, and I actually think she had two, the first one stopped and she was not responsive, then another one started. When that one ended, she was breathing like she had just run a mile. Then she got upa nd was very wobbly, but did not go blind like the first time in august. After about 30 minutes of pacing and looking confused, she jumped on the bed and went to sleep. This morning she was her normal self, ate breakfast, etc. The saga continues.....

Brain Tumor 15 Oct 2009 13:03 #181685

I'm so sorry to hear this, Nicole. But I'm glad to hear that Stormy has bounced back somewhat this morning. Hang in there.....I know it's hard.

Sending you good thoughts. Give Stormy a big hug!

Brain Tumor 15 Oct 2009 13:25 #181688

• zoie
  • Wise Old Weim
  • Thank you received: 149
Sending good thoughts to you and Stormy.

Brain Tumor 15 Oct 2009 17:54 #181752

• weimdawgs
  • Wise Old Weim
  • Thank you received: 7
Colleen,

I am so sorry to hear that you lost Ethel. Her sweet, gentle soul will always be with you. I know that doesn't make the loss any less painful. May she run free and strong at the Rainbow Bridge....

Godspeed, Sweet Ethel... :innocent:

Nicole, keeping you and Stormy in my prayers.....

Lynn
weimdawgs

Prince Jacob Raven aka Jake, Rest easy, My Love 7/6/97-2/16/09

Brain Tumor 15 Oct 2009 20:19 #181777

• greydogs
  • Wise Old Weim
  • Thank you received: 97
dear colleen,
i am so very sorry that you lost your sweet ethel.
love and strength to you
run free, ethel.

Brain Tumor 15 Oct 2009 20:19 #181778

• greydogs
  • Wise Old Weim
  • Thank you received: 97
and to nicole and stormy -much love and many more good days.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.184 seconds